Although we do not have a dessert section on our menu, this does not mean that we do not have a sweet-tooth! Today we will feature a beautiful brownie cake that is deliciously sinful yet completely guilt-free. Trust us when we say that you will forego the refined flour version after you try this out! For the devout Vegans out there, you are welcome to substitute ingredients suggested in the parentheses. Happy baking!
While living in Vancouver I’ve had many diverse eating habits and diets introduced to me. But, it wasn’t until recently that I found out one of my friends lives by a vegan and gluten free diet. While grocery shopping I discovered that there are in fact many options for those with this particular diet. I understand that living by a vegan diet is usually a lifestyle choice but gluten free diets are usually from an allergy – at least in my friend’s case. I thought I would write a blog post on one of her favorite vegan and gluten free deserts.
- ½ cup of Adam’s smooth peanut butter or any all natural brand
- ¼ cup of honey
- ½ cup natural and unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ gluten free oats
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 ½ cup of shredded zucchini
- ½ cup of vegan dark chocolate chips
1. Lightly coat an 8 x 11 baking pan with canola oil or nonstick cooking spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Blend or grind the oats until they closely resemble oat flour. It doesn’t need to be completely ground but it will require a few minutes.
3. Using a large bowl use an electric mixer to blend the peanut butter, applesauce, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Mix in the zucchini, cocoa powder, oats, baking soda, and salt. Fold in half the amount of chocolate chips (1/4 cup) and pour batter into baking pan and spread the rest of the chocolate chips on top of the mixture.
4. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean from the center of the pan.
5. Cool brownies on rack and cut into 20 servings.
We hope that this recipe finds its way into your kitchen and maybe you can even surprise a friend who lives by a vegan and gluten free diet too. For more hearty meals we recommend coming down to Panz Veggie for a delicious vegan lunch or supper. We are known for our Chinese vegan cuisine in downtown Vancouver and we also provide take our orders. Please take a look at our menu.
Recipe Courtesy of Ambitious Kitchen.