Although we do not have a dessert section on our menu, this does not mean that we do not have a sweet-tooth! Today we will feature a beautiful brownie cake that is deliciously sinful yet completely guilt-free. Trust us when we say that you will forego the refined flour version after you try this out! For the devout Vegans out there, you are welcome to substitute ingredients suggested in the parentheses. Happy baking!
- 2 cups of grapeseed/olive oil
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs (or soy yogurt)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cups dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F; lightly grease a cake pan
- Melt the butter in a bowl over low heat. Add the sugar and stir constantly
- Take the bowl off the heat and add cocoa, salt, baking powder and vanilla. Mix until the texture is smooth
- Add in the eggs and stir till smooth
- Add the flour and chocolate chips. Again, stir until smooth
- Transfer the mixture to the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a cake tester shows that there is no more raw batter. Check to make sure that the brownies are set on the edges and the center
- Cool the cake completely on a rack and let sit overnight before cutting and serving. This will give the wheat bran a chance to soften and melt into the cake.
This healthy brownie cake is high in fibre and healthy oils and low in sugar. If you have a hard time resisting your sweet urges, this is the perfect recipe for you! Come in and try out our delicious lunch specials before going home to indulge in this sweet dessert.